Monday 14 January 2013

Mixed Emotions



This week has been somewhat of an emotional roller coaster for me.………………………….

When I wrote my last blog post asking fellow self-employed parents how they coped with managing a family and a business I was mid-way through one of ‘those days’.  Little Mack had reduced me to tears on the school run, my diary was fuller than I could handle and I had a hundred and one things to do that simply were not getting done.
 
At 4.30 that very same day, after having got back from swimming lessons I had a phone call that not only excited me but also put a feeling of dread in my heart as I knew almost instantly I was going to have to do some talking!


A unit in my local enterprise centre had become vacant, a mere 2 minute drive from my house.  The unit is a converted stable building with beams and exposed brick work, a mezzanine lounge area, tons of parking, central heating and fully serviced amenities.  A place I could really call my own.

I had no choice but to snap it up, I’d be a fool not too.  Now to the horrid bit………..


Only 11 weeks ago Natasha and Jim had welcomed me with open arms into their lovely indie bookshop.  Nurturing my business and helping it grow.  Watching my classes get busier and busier and sharing in my excitement to have a little bit of space on the high street.

I felt awful when I told them I was going at the end of last week.  Needless to say they were a little bit shell shocked at first, but being the fabulous friends that they are they understood that I had to do what was best for my business and my family.

So what happens now you ask?

Well the Beautiful Things ‘Shop’ will close on Saturday 19th January, making way for a cosy corner in Chicken and Frog where you can enjoy a nice cup of tea and a read of a book.

Craft Classes will remain in the shop until the end of February and then my new Craft Retreat will open its doors on Friday 1st March when all classes will transfer to the new premises which will be decked out with purpose built sewing benches, a cosy seating area, big cutting tables and a little patio area for a spot of crafting Al Fresco in the summer months.


If you have already made a booking for a class in March nothing has changed except for its location and you will be contacted in the next week or so with full details.

All that is left to be said is a huge Thank you to Jim and Natasha for being so understanding and another huge thank you to my family who are backing my new venture for me.

Please raise your glasses to a shiny new Beautiful Things HQ.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! How exciting and what a lovely venue!

    I admire your courage to take the leap (no pun intended Mr Frog)and strike out on your own, especially given the emotional committment you have made with Mrs Chicken and Mr Frog.

    I know you will make a big a success of the new venue and I am also sure that Chicken & Frog will evolve into it's next phase and be as fabulous as it is now, if not more so!

    I wish you and Chicken and Frog the very best for the future and can't wait to visit both businesses in their new formats!

    M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glass cordially raised. I wish you all the love and luck in the world. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is absolutely huge massive wonderful news! very proud! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful blog. all the very best with your new venture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your new premises look amazing! What a brilliant opportunity, hope it helps your business continue to grow and evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done!! When I grow up I would like to be like you - clever, creative and courageous!!
    I will be there of course! Love, Gabi xx

    ReplyDelete