Tuesday 5 August 2014

A true vintage beauty Butterick Retro B5748

I have been following the fabulous Dolly Clackett a.k.a Roisin Muldoon for some time now.  She is a fabulous dressmaker who makes loads of wonderful frocks in fabulous prints.

Whenever I'm unsure if a pattern is for me, a quick search of her blog usually finds she has made it before and her no nonsense making attitude is right up my street as you will see in her blog about the Butterick B5748 which I decided to try this week


I fancied giving this dress a whirl as it looked very similar to my trusty Betty but with a scoop neck.  I'm not a huge fan of Betty's V back.  The pattern directions are fiddly and include a side zip and a full lining. 

I decided instantly to ditch the skirt lining and after mulling it over in my head and googling for tips, I thought I'd do away with the instructions altogether and stitch it with a centre back zip instead.

I did come unstuck though as I measured a 16 on top and a 20 in the waist!! (gotta love a vintage pattern for a body image crisis) How to overcome that one you may ask. 


A quick snap of the pattern piece and a post to Instagram and the lovely Roisin herself replied saying just draw out from the 16 to the 20 and re-draw the line.  Cut a 20 skirt and all will be well, and it was!


I used a vintage bed sheet that I had picked up in a charity shop.   thought it was super chintzy looking and just like something you would see in the front of a vintage pattern.  

The pattern packet tells you to wear with a purchased petticoat so obviously I obliged!


I have enough of this fabric left to make another dress so if anyone would like a custom make, do get in touch before it gets snapped up.


No comments:

Post a Comment