Friday 6 June 2014

Tilly & The Buttons - Love at First Stitch, book review

Last Sunday I was lucky enough to meet the lovely Tilly Walnes from 2013 Sewing Bee fame.  She is absolutely lovely and seemed genuinely excited to see so many of her fans rocking up to the Make Good Festival wearing their Tilly & The Buttons garments.

I wore my very first Coco and Tilly even snapped a picture of me to feature on her instagram feed!


I couldn't resist a few sneeky purchases and 1st in my basket was a copy of her new book Love at First Stitch.  A copy of the lovely Matilde pattern was next (my next project) and I even got a free shopper too.

I could not wait to read my book and started on the train on the way home continuing over the next couple of evenings at bedtime.

Now I've read a lot of sewing and craft books and although I am no sewing expert I have usually always found errors, typos and lousy instructions in most of them.  This however is certainly NOT the case with Tillys book.

Fabulous instructions, clear photographs, sensible outfits to flatter most figures that are quirky yet wearable day to day.  Tilly gives some excellent tips for all the basics such as putting in zips, creating pleats and gathers and making buttonholes as well as tips for draughting patterns, cutting out and fabric types.

I could not wait to get started and decided to start with a Clemence skirt.  This particular pattern has not got a pattern sheet to cut out and is made by creating your own pattern to fit.  2 rectangles and a waistband + a zip are all you need to get started on this make and I am proud to say I made it from start to finish in 1 day!


I used a lovely piece of light weight cotton that has been in my stash for a few years.  It has always been destined to be a skirt in my mind but I have just been waiting for the right pattern.

I have to say I really should have trusted Tillys sizing and stuck to the measurements for the waistband as sadly my skirt really was too big.  A quick unpick and a take in at either side soon fixed the issue but next time I will be following the instructions 100% for a correct fit.

I'm delighted with my gathers though (I've never done these before on a machine) and my zip/waistline is looking pretty neat to me too.
 

This skirt really is simple to make and I would say well suited to a patient beginner.  The only tricky bit could be fitting in the zip, but with a deep breath and vigorous instruction following I'm sure Tilly will get you there.

Next on my list is the Matilde pattern I purchased and then I will be cracking on with a few more items from this lovely book.  It really has re-ignited my passion in creating a new wardrobe for myself.  I am finding myself planning patterns in my sleep!

1 comment:

  1. Looks lovely and a really good fit and nice length, well done.

    ReplyDelete